OzTAM Pty Ltd Privacy Statement
At OzTAM we respect your privacy and your privacy is important to us.
2. OzTAM is bound by the Privacy Act 1988 ("the Act") and the Australian Privacy Principles ("the APPs"). The APPs regulate how OzTAM collects, stores, uses and discloses personal information (as defined in the Act) about you and other individuals.
5. Please note that if at any time OzTAM is required by law to release your personal information, OzTAM must co-operate fully.
What is personal information?
7. Personal information is, in general terms, any information about you that identifies you or information by which you are reasonably identifiable.
How does OzTAM collect and hold your personal information, and what kinds of personal information does it collect and hold?
8. OzTAM collects your personal information in a lawful, fair and not unreasonably obtrusive way.
9. OzTAM collects your personal information, where reasonable and practicable, from you.
10. OzTAM collects personal information necessary for one or more of its activities:
a. OzTAM collects your personal information when you sign up for a service. Certain information may be required, such as your name, age, occupation, name of employer, internet or email address, phone and facsimile number, billing address, billing band, the industry your organisation or employer operates in and the services it provides, the reason why our service is required, number of users within your organisation and the type of software used to analyse our data. This information is obtained when you or your organisation provide it to us, in order to provide that service to you or your organisation.
b. OzTAM may also collect anonymous information such as the number of visits to our website.
c. The OzTAM website and the provision of our free weekly data releases may also require the person or organisation requesting the free service to enter some or all of your personal information referred to in paragraph 10.a. above. This information is obtained when you or your organisation provide it to us, in order for us to provide that free service to you or your organisation.
For what purposes does OzTAM collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information?
11. OzTAM may collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information to provide you with a specific service. For example, we may use the information you provide us to determine the type of service required. For example, a daily report detailing the number of people and households using television.
12. OzTAM may also collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information to deliver the product or service (either by email or post) that you request. If at any time you receive material that you did not request or do not want to receive any more, please contact us.
13. OzTAM provides on its website a free weekly data release including a report of the Top 20 most popular television programs. In order to automatically deliver the report when it becomes available, users are required to register for the free service and provide an email address and other information. We collect this information in order to deliver the information to you. We may also use the information to promote and market the products or services which we consider may be of interest to you. If you do not wish us to contact you regarding other products or services, please call OzTAM on (02) 9929-7210.
Does OzTAM disclose your personal information?
14. OzTAM will not sell, rent, or trade to third parties any personal information obtained from you unless you have consented.
15. We may disclose personal information without your consent, where:
a. the secondary purpose of disclosure is related (or in the case of sensitive information, directly related) to the primary purpose for which the information was collected and you would reasonably expect us to disclose that information for the secondary purpose;
b. it is unreasonable or impracticable to obtain your consent and we reasonably believe that use or disclosure is necessary to prevent or lessen a serious threat to your or the public's health or safety;
c. we have reason to suspect that unlawful activities or serious misconduct have been or are being engaged in and we reasonably believe the disclosure is necessary to take appropriate action; or
d. the disclosure is reasonably necessary in preparing for or conducting proceedings before a court or tribunal, or for confidential alternative dispute resolution.
16. OzTAM has outsourced the collection of Television Audience Measurement ("TAM") data to an independent third party. In order to deliver certain products or services to our customers, OzTAM’s service provider maintains a secure website on behalf of OzTAM, whereby our customers use an OzTAM provided username and password in order to access the secure website.
17. In order for our service provider to maintain the secure website, and for other third party software providers to deliver their services to you, certain information is provided to them to allow them to properly carry out their duties, such as:
i. your individual and organisation's name;
ii. your contact details; and
iii. the term of access.
18. In order to deliver the services you require, OzTAM may also disclose your information to other organisations, including, but not limited to the following organisations:
i. information technology service providers;
ii. agents and other providers that we use in the ordinary operation of our business, such as for data processing, printing or mailing; and
iii. organisations contracted to provide administrative services.
19. Your personal information may also be provided to:
ii. our group companies, who may use your information for the same purposes as us;
iii. if we are taken over by another company (‘takeover company’), to the takeover company;
iv. persons or agencies which we are required to pass your information to, for law enforcement or regulatory purposes; and/or
v. external IT service providers to assist in ensuring the security of our computer network is maintained.
How does OzTAM hold and maintain your personal information?
20. OzTAM may outsource the collection and maintenance of information obtained via the OzTAM website to an independent internet and IT service firm. OzTAM may also engage service firms and consultants from time to time to assist us in the operation of our business and in providing goods and services to our clients. Personal information collected may be stored within OzTAM’s or its service providers’ computer systems and databases.
21. To provide you with the best possible service it is important that OzTAM maintains accurate, up-to-date information for you. We will endeavour to ensure the personal information we collect, use and disclose is correct, complete, up-to-date and relevant. To fulfil this commitment, you should contact our Privacy Officer if your personal information changes.
How does OzTAM keep your personal information secure?
22. OzTAM has security measures in place designed to protect against loss, misuse, interference and/or unauthorised access, alteration or disclosure of the information under its control. These security measures include:
a. clauses in employee agreements requiring confidentiality;
b. procedures and computer controls to prevent unauthorised access; and
c. the provision of written advice to third parties of their requirement to comply with the Act.
23. Despite the security measures set out above, no method of transmitting or storing electronic data is ever completely secure, and OzTAM cannot guarantee that such information will never be accessed, used or released in a manner that is inconsistent with this policy.
How can you access and correct your personal information?
24. You may gain access to information that OzTAM has collected about you, by contacting the person named in paragraph 38 below. We will not charge you for making such a request. We will only charge you for responding to such a request if we incur costs in providing the information. OzTAM is entitled to charge reasonable costs for its time in providing the information.
25. If you request information from OzTAM, we will need to establish and verify your identity before OzTAM can disclose that information to you.
26. If you believe that personal information OzTAM holds about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, or should no longer be held at all, then you may request an amendment or destruction of it. OzTAM will then consider if the information requires amendment or destruction.
27. There may be instances where OzTAM cannot grant you access to, or does not agree to amend or destroy, your personal information. If so, we will give you written reasons for the refusal, unless it would be unreasonable to do so, and information regarding the mechanisms to complain about the refusal.
How can you make a complaint?
28. If you believe that your privacy has been breached, you may make a complaint by contacting the person named in paragraph 38 below and providing details of the incident.
29. We are committed to resolving any complaints you may have. We will acknowledge your complaint as soon as we can after receipt of your complaint. We will let you know if we need any further information from you to resolve your complaint. We aim to resolve complaints as quickly as possible. We strive to resolve complaints within five business days but some complaints take longer to resolve. If your complaint is taking longer, we will let you know what is happening and a date by which you can reasonably expect a response.
If we do not resolve a complaint to your satisfaction, you also have the right to complain to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC). The Commissioner can be contacted at:
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001
Phone: 1300 363 992
What is a government related identifier?
30. A government related identifier is a Commonwealth, State or Territory Government or Commonwealth, State or Territory Government agency designated identification number, such as your Tax File Number or Medicare number.
31. OzTAM does not use government related identifiers as a means of identifying personal information collected from you.
Do you have to be identified at all?
32. Wherever it is lawful and practicable to do so, OzTAM may offer you the opportunity to deal with it anonymously or using a pseudonym. For example, when making an inquiry about the type of products or services OzTAM may offer. Otherwise, the nature of OzTAM's services is such that anonymity or use of a pseudonym cannot be maintained.
Does OzTAM disclose your personal information outside Australia?
33. OzTAM may disclose personal information to third party software suppliers located in the United Kingdom and United States of America.
What is sensitive information?
34. Sensitive information concerns matters such as your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, political or trade associations, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, criminal record and health, genetic and biometric information.
35. Unless you have consented, OzTAM does not collect, use or disclose your sensitive information other than in exceptional circumstances in accordance with the Act.
Links to other websites
37. The OzTAM website may contain links to other sites. We make no representations or warranties as to the privacy practices of any site operated by a third party, and we are not responsible for the privacy policies of such other sites.
How to contact us?
The Privacy Officer
OzTAM Pty Limited
Address: Level 4, 50 Berry Street, North Sydney, NSW 2060 Australia
Phone: (02) 99290-7210
Fax: (02) 9929-3445