OzTAM manages and markets television ratings data for total television viewing in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth across all television households and nationally for all subscription television households.
OzTAM’s television ratings service provider, Nielsen TAM, collects and produces ratings data on OzTAM’s behalf, drawing from actual viewing in OzTAM panel households.
In addition to measuring and reporting Live television viewing, OzTAM also reports viewing of programs played back through the television set within 28 days of the original broadcast (OzTAM's Time Shift Viewing service).
OzTAM provides the following services:
- OzTAM Metropolitan Television Ratings Service. This comprises television ratings data drawn from more than 3,500 homes. In 2017 OzTAM's metro panel is expanding to 5,250 homes (Sydney, 1,475 homes; Melbourne, 1,475; Brisbane, 1,000; Adelaide, 650; Perth, 650).
- OzTAM National Subscription Television Service. This comprises television ratings data from more than 1,413 subscription TV (STV) homes nationally. It includes all STV households in OzTAM’s Metropolitan TV service as well as all STV households in the Regional TV ratings service provider, Regional TAM, panel. In 2017 OzTAM's STV panel is expanding to 2,120 homes.
Regional TAM is a separate company to OzTAM and provides ratings data for five aggregated regional markets: Queensland, Northern NSW, Southern NSW, Victoria and Tasmania.
Please see OzTAM coverage maps for a graphic representation of in-home television audience panel coverage.
Channels and demographics
OzTAM provides minute-by-minute and quarter hour viewing data, encompassing more than 100 demographic groups, for every FTA and approximately 100 STV channels in each of the five metropolitan markets and nationally for STV. More information at tools.
OzTAM clients have diverse objectives which require many different criteria for evaluating television performance.
Accordingly, OzTAM TV ratings data is highly detailed and offers a range of options for analysis so that subscribers can analyse and report ratings information to best meet their specific needs.
OzTAM produces reports that include:
- Weekly viewing reports. A selection of standard reports on FTA and STV channels are posted each Monday (Tuesday in the case of public holidays) on our website under Viewing Reports.
- People viewing reports (PUTs). These PDFs with quarter hour data for each metropolitan market are available to subscribers.
- Ad hoc reports. These are customised reports created for individual client needs. OzTAM can produce bespoke reports on either a once-off or regular (weekly, monthly, quarterly, etc.) basis. To obtain an ad hoc report quote, please contact us.
- VPM reports. Rolling 7-day and 28-day reports covering on-demand ('catch up') viewing on connected devices over the previous 7 or 28 days are posted to the VPM reports section of OzTAM's website daily. A weekly live VPM report capturing the top live-streamed programs each week (preceding Saturday to Sunday) is posted on Tuesdays. These reports provide further insight into how Australians consume their favourite television content.
OzTAM’s commitment to quality
OzTAM provides a world-class television audience measurement service. We strive for excellence and continuous improvement in all our activities.
OzTAM has established quality objectives and a framework for benchmarking them which are constantly reviewed for compliance and suitability.
Rigorous corporate governance underpins OzTAM licences and contracts, which adhere to both the letter and spirit of all relevant regulations, reporting principles and standards.
OzTAM’s TAM services comply with the quality service requirements of:
- AS ISO 20252 (Market Opinion and Social Research)
- AS ISO 9001 (Quality Management Systems)